Atlanta’s favorite soft drink company is celebrating its 125th anniversary this week. If you’ve ever toured a new home community in July, then you’ve surely been grateful when someone handed you an ice cold soft drink. In honor of Coca-Cola’s continued success, here are some of the things planned for the celebration:
- Coca-Cola employees will be treated to a free, live concert at Centennial Olympic Park on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. Ne-Yo, Natasha Bedingfield and Kelly Clarkson will be performing and Ryan Seacrest will be hosting.
- British artist James Jarvis created six special cans to commemorate the 125th anniversary. Collectors of Coca-Cola products should be on the lookout for these cans soon.
- Speaking of collectors, Monopoly will be releasing a 125th anniversary edition of the popular board game that highlights the company’s storied history.
While Coca-Cola is synonymous with soft drinks, there is actually much more to the company than carbonation. Here are some interesting facts you may not know about Coca-Cola:
- Coca-Cola has approximately 3,500 beverages in its lineup, with everything from carbonated drinks to juices.
- The company is seeing consumers shift away from soft drinks. Carbonated drinks accounted for 76 percent of sales in 2010, which is a decrease from 77 percent in 2009 and 78 percent in 2008.
- By 2013,Coca-Cola plans to cease advertisements aimed at audiences that are more than 35 percent children under 12.
- By 2015, the company plans to have a physical activity program in each of its markets.
- The Coca-Cola Facebook page currently has more than 25 million fans.
- Diet Coke overtook Pepsi as the second-best selling soft drink in America for 2010. And of course, Coca-Cola remained at number one.