Looking for small town atmosphere with plenty to do? Then, make your way to Powder Springs! Having just celebrated its 175th birthday this month, Powder Springs was founded in 1838 as a mining town. The city was named after the seven springs in its city limits. The water in these springs contains some 26 minerals that turn the surrounding sand black like gunpowder.
Since 1838, many have found their ways to Powder Springs. Now, the city is home to 13,000 residents. According to Trulia, 703 homes are for sale. These range in price from $30,000 to $3,800,000. Rentals are priced from $550 to $2,100.
With low crime rates and good schools, Powder Springs is a great place to raise a family. Children attend Powder Springs Elementary, Varner Elementary, Jubilee Christian Prep Academy, Lovinggood Middle, Hillgrove High and McEachern High.
Even if it is 175 years old, Powder Springs makes improvements each year. It even has a new city hall, police station, library and recreational system connected with the Silver Comet Trail. A cultural arts center is coming soon too. In addition to all of these opportunities, Powder Springs has tons to offer:
Shopping and Dining
• Tea at Seven Springs. With a variety of teas and gifts, Tea at Seven Springs is the perfect place for children’s parties, events and even ladies’ nights. The shop sells teapots, tea warmers, teacups, soy candles, books, fine home décor and more. Menu items include scones, fruit, chicken salad croissants, soup, tea sandwiches, pastries and, of course, tea.
• PearTree Interiors & Gifts. A full-service florist and home interior store located in historic downtown Powder Springs, PearTree is the go-to place for standout pieces of jewelry, home accessories, fresh flowers and more.
• Loma Pizzeria. The best family-friendly pizzeria in Powder Springs, this restaurant offers quality food, great service and fair pricing. Menu items include cheese bread, fried ravioli, garlic bread, wings, salad, sandwiches, calzones, Stromboli, pizza, beer and wine.
• Downtown Powder Springs. An attractive, compact, save and pedestrian friendly area, Downtown Powder Springs offers an eclectic and interesting mix of both shops and restaurants and is an alternative to mall shopping.
• Treasure Hunt Antique Mall. The newest antique shopping experience in Powder Springs, Treasure Hunt offers over 27,000 square feet of quality antiques and vintage finds. Visit this Saturday for a Parking Lot sale.
Entertainment and Recreation
• Corn on the Cobb. Presented by Still Family Farm, Corn on the Cobb is an 11-acre fall attraction in Powder Springs. It offers a pumpkin patch, zip line, pumpkin slingshot, stick pony races, popcorn maze, hayride, heirloom tractor display, Atlanta’s best food trucks and so much more! The farm is located at 5630 Macland Road.
• Powder Springs Park. Located on Brownsville Road, this park includes 25 acres of ball fields, playgrounds, picnic areas, pavilions, an outdoor swimming pool and a recreation area with paved trails.
• West Cobb Aquatic Center. Currently being renovated, the West Cobb Aquatic Center will be able to offer even more when it reopens. The center is usually open year-round with swim classes, lifeguard training, water safety classes, swim meets and more.
• Trails of Powder Springs. Home to a city-wide trail system that connects neighborhoods, parks, commercial centers and the historic downtown area, Powder Springs is comprised of three trails: The Silver Comet Trail, The Wildhorse Trail and Lucille Creek Trail.
• Peach State Stables. Located on Dallas Highway, Peach State Stables provides dressage training, boarding, free riding lessons on Wednesdays and frequent lectures and events.
• The Seven Springs Museum. Housing a unique collection of artifacts and photographs chronicling the history of the area, The Seven Springs Museum is currently displaying the exhibit called “Powder Springs has some deep roots in it” and an “Oral History Portrait of an African American Community.”
• Magnolia House. Built in the late 1800s, the Magnolia House became a wedding and special event venue in 1994. Since then, it has been the destination for countless numbers of weddings. Call 770-943-2860 to start planning the wedding of your dreams.
Visit Powder Springs today, and get to know the people. Be sure to wish them happy birthday too!