If you’ve been working hard at spring cleaning your Augusta new home, reward yourself and your home with a room makeover. One of the most dramatic changes you can make in a room without spending tons of money is a change in paint color. But, before you pull out those rollers and paint cans, read through these preparation steps.
- Clean: Chances are your walls have built up a layer of dirt, dust and grime that can be removed by scrubbing the walls with a sponge and a mixture of water and mild dishwashing detergent. When you’re done, be sure to rinse them with clean water.
- Tape: Before you get to painting, be sure to line any windows, door frames and trim with blue painters tape. Be sure to remove it immediately after painting, so that it doesn’t dry with the paint.
- Prime: Have clean walls and covered edges? You’re ready to apply primer, which will help maximize paint coverage and the sheen.
- Brush & Roll: Start by using a two-inch angle brush to paint in the corners of the walls and two to three inches from all of the trim.
- “W”: The most efficient way to paint is to start in one corner and roll a three foot by three foot “W” pattern, and then fill it in without lifting the roller. Continue this pattern in sections and wall by wall.
- Trim: Once all of the walls are painted, go back and repaint all of your window frames, door frames and trim to give them a fresher look.
Don’t know what color you want to use in your makeover? The Keystone Homes design studio is a great place to go for inspiration!
For more information on our new homes and communities in Augusta, visit www.BuildKeystone.com.