While you’re planning that outdoor barbecue, pool party or July Fourth cookout, you’re probably not thinking about insurance….but if your outdoor space were to be damaged or someone hurts themselves on your deck or patio, insurance would certainly cross your mind. So the time to think about it is now, and the insurance pros at the Equifax Finance blog have come up with a list of scenarios in which you may want to review your homeowners insurance policy for your outdoor living areas in the recent article, “
5 Reasons to Update Your Homeowners Insurance This Summer.”
Many people don’t think about their outdoor spaces in insurance, they think of the main home’s structure and interiors. But, according to the article, it may be time to review your homeowners insurance policy if:
- You’ve made recent outdoor improvements – if you’ve installed a hot tub, pool, outdoor kitchen, storage building, gazebo, etc., see if it is included under your current policy.
- Your outdoor property is in poor condition – if someone were to get hurt on your property (say the wood on your deck rots and collapses with party-goers on it) you could be on the hook.
- You may not have the right amount of coverage – if someone is injured on your property in an accident, the standard coverage amount recommended is $100,000 to $300,000 to protect you from bodily injury claims, according to the article.
- You feel you need additional coverage – you can purchase umbrella policies to cover claims in excess of your existing policies.
- It’s been a while since you reviewed your policy – you may be eligible for savings or discounts that you’re not currently taking advantage of.
Get more insurance tips on the Equifax Finance blog, as well as tips on topics like retirement, credit, real estate, taxes,
identity theft protection and more.