Centered on its public high school, churches and locally owned and operated businesses, the unincorporated Tucker in DeKalb County is known as a livable city. In 2005, the Atlanta Regional Commission issued Tucker, also known as Main Street Tucker, a grant to develop a Livable Cities Initiative.
Now, Tucker is an interconnected and pedestrian-friendly town. With a population of over 30,000, many residents work at the Cofer Brothers building supply business or the Tucker Federal Savings and Loan Association.
Children residing in Tucker attend Nesbit Elementary, Tucker Middle and Tucker High. The high school features the Tucker High School Foundation, which bridges the community and school to assure academic, athletic and artistic excellence. Its sports teams have even won a total of 20 state titles.
Below is a list of things you and your family can do in Tucker, just 14 miles northeast of Atlanta.
Shopping and Dining
• Matthews Cafeteria. A Tucker favorite, Matthews Cafeteria offers catering and menu items such as fried chicken, Salisbury steak, bar-b-q ribs, chicken livers, dried peas, stewed tomatoes, grits, pies, banana pudding, cobbler and so much more.
• Northlake Mall. As Tucker’s prime shopping destination, Northlake Mall includes Macy’s, Sears, JCPenny, Kohl’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods, plus 150 other stores and restaurants.
• Sweet Dee’s Bakeshop. Located at 2316 Main Street in Tucker, Sweet Dee’s Bakeshop is the perfect treat spot. The bakery offers cupcakes, ice cream, cakes, cookies, brownies and lemon bars.
• Movie Tavern. What’s better than watching a movie? Watching it with food and an alcoholic beverage, of course! Movie Tavern located at 4043 LaVista Road in Tucker provides the latest movies and tons of good eats. Menu items include pizza, egg rolls, nachos, chicken wings, burgers, sandwiches and more.
• Aldo’s Café. This upscale, yet casual dining restaurant is located on Hugh Howell Road. Aldo’s Café features fine Mediterranean cuisine such as pasta, veal, chicken, seafood, sausage, Persian entrees, sandwiches, soup, baklava, crème brulee and cheesecake.
Entertainment and Recreation
• Kelley C. Cofer Park. With softball fields, a swimming pool, playground, picnic area, lake and trails, this park is sure to please the whole family. Plus, it is named after the prominent local family, the Cofers of Cofers Brothers.
• Heritage Golf Links. Located at 4445 Britt Road, tee off at Heritage Golf Links today. Be sure to host your next golf outing, business meeting or fall event here. There is even a newly enhanced and decorated clubhouse with views of the golf course, lake and patio with outdoor fireplace.
• ATL Music Room. As one of Atlanta’s top performance venues, the ATL Music Room in Tucker has had over 400 different comedy and musicians hit its stage. See a show tonight!
• Tucker Recreation Center. Offering classes in martial arts, acting, dance, Zumba, Pilates, pottery, gymnastics and more, the Tucker Recreation Center at 4898 Lavista Road has something for everyone. Community members even gather to play Scrabble, ping-pong and other games.
• Henderson Park Community Garden. Adjacent to the Henderson Park soccer fields on Henderson Road, this garden includes plots that anyone can use to plant flowers and vegetables. It also offers gardening classes and is a place where the community can come together.
• Historic Browning Courthouse. Celebrate Tucker’s 121st anniversary with a trip to see the historic Browning Courthouse. The only standing building of its kind in DeKalb, the courthouse has been a landmark since 1860, long before the area was established as Tucker. The courthouse is now a small museum, so visit to learn more about the history of Tucker.
Now that you know how livable Tucker is, it’s time to take a trip to see it for yourself! For more information about Atlanta new homes in the area, click here.