Voted by the Atlanta Journal Constitution as the best Atlanta Suburb in 2020 is the little town of Tucker. Centered on its public high school, churches and locally owned and operated businesses, the unincorporated Tucker in DeKalb County is known as a livable city. In 2005, the Atlanta Regional Commission issued Tucker, also known as Main Street Tucker, a grant to develop a Livable Cities Initiative.
Now, Tucker is an interconnected and pedestrian-friendly town. As one of the oldest and largest unincorporated communities in Georgia, it offers many great things to do. With a population of over 35,000, many residents work at the Cofer Brothers building supply business or the Tucker Federal Savings and Loan Association.
Children residing in Tucker attend Nesbit Elementary, Tucker Middle and Tucker High. The high school features the Tucker High School Foundation, which bridges the community and school to assure academic, athletic and artistic excellence. Its sports teams have even won a total of 20 state titles.
Below is a list of things you and your family can do in Tucker, just 14 miles northeast of Atlanta.
Shopping and Dining
- Matthews Cafeteria is a Tucker favorite. Matthews Cafeteria offers catering and menu items such as fried chicken, Salisbury steak, bar-b-q ribs, chicken livers, dried peas, stewed tomatoes, grits, pies, banana pudding, cobbler and so much more.
- Hot Betty’s Breakfast Bar is Located on 2316 Main Street. Hot Betty’s serves breakfast all day long and dinner on Fridays and Saturdays. Enjoy some fried chicken stacked between two Belgian waffles or an “anything goes” menu for dinner.
- The Local No. 7 is Tucker’s classic local bar that serves up everything you need to enjoy a Falcons, Braves or United game with the whole town. While you’re there, enjoy the John Henry challenge: seven half pound burgers, seven slices of cheese, bacon and a fried egg. If it’s finished in an hour, it’s free!
- Ford’s BBQ opened in late 2020 and quickly gained major popularity throughout Tucker. Known for it’s Texas-style barbecue, enjoy some tasty brisket or St. Louis-style ribs.
- Tucker Brewing Company offers the largest beer garden in Georgia coming in at 8,500 square feet of enjoyable outdoor space. Come in and enjoy a German-style beer and delicious food with all of your friends!
Entertainment and Recreation
- Tucker Nature Preserve is a nine-acre green space located in downtown Tucker. The park contains a half-mile walking loop, a large grassy area and a family picnic area.
- Kelley C. Cofer Park is a park that is sure to please the whole family by offering softball fields, a swimming pool, playground, picnic area, lake and trails. Plus, it is named after the prominent local family, the Cofers of Cofers Brothers.
- Located at 4445 Britt Road, tee off at Heritage Golf Links today. Be sure to host your next golf outing, business meeting or fall event here. Enjoy the beautifully decorated clubhouse with views of the golf course, lake and patio with outdoor fireplace for your next big event.
- Get back in front of the big screen at Tucker Cinema. With low contact online ordering, enjoy a delicious snack or meal at the next movie night.
- The Tucker Recreation Center offers classes in martial arts, acting, dance, Zumba, Pilates, pottery, gymnastics and more. The recreation center is located at 4898 Lavista Road and has something for everyone. Community members even gather to play Scrabble, ping-pong and other games.
- As the home of Discover DeKalb, residents take pride in showcasing their wonderful town. This website is full of fun things to do, places to shop and dine and many other fun facts about Tucker and surrounding DeKalb County.
- Located at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church on 4482 Lavista Road is the Tucker Farmers Market. Come and enjoy live music, food trucks and over 25 different vendors. This event happens every Thursday afternoon starting in April and ending in December.
- In 2014 a group of talented volunteers came together and founded the Main Street Theatre. What started as a way to bring more performance and arts to the area has grown to be a favorite among the community. Enjoy the socially distanced past performances online or enjoy future unperson performances happening soon!
- The Historic Browning Courthouse is the only standing building of its kind in DeKalb County. The courthouse has been a prominent landmark since 1860, long before the area was established as Tucker. The courthouse is now a small museum, so visit to learn more about the history of Tucker.
Now that you know how livable Tucker is, it’s time to take a trip to see it for yourself! For more information about Atlanta new homes in the area, visit www.AtlantaRealEstateForum.com.