Remote work took over the professional sphere in 2020 after the initial wave of the pandemic. According to The Atlantic, about 35 percent of Americans transitioned to remote work to stall the spread of Coronavirus.
There is no doubt that working from home provided more flexibility for professional workers. However, without a functional workspace, productivity can actually decrease. Remote work is here to stay and practical, affordable home offices are increasingly popular home features. In a survey conducted by Upwork, by 2025, 22 percent of Americans will be working remotely, which is an 87 percent increase pre-pandemic.
Establishing a home office can seem like an expensive project, but there are ways to keep it affordable!
Here are some ideas to create a home office that won’t break the bank:
- The first step in designing a home office is to find exclusive space. It’s essential to create an area solely for work to prevent personal spaces from mixing with work. A spare room with plenty of natural light and fresh air is ideal.
- After securing a designated space, it’s time to find a desk. First, determine the ideal desk size by measuring the office area. IKEA is a fantastic outlet to shop a wide variety of stylish desks that fit the budget. From standing desks and laptop tables to a “create your own” option, they have it all!
- Another easy hack to make remote work simpler is purchasing a monitor stand to elevate your desk and provide additional storage for everyday essentials.
- According to the Open Access Government, the average U.S. worker spends 75 percent of the workday sitting, making the desk chair the most important feature of a home office. For comfy and affordable options, check out this article highlighting the top 2021 picks.
- Now for the fun part! Painting a mural, adding colorful wallpaper or incorporating greenery enhances any space. Jazz up your new office by integrating your favorite colors and styles. To prevent dipping into the budget, look around the home to shop for decor! Turn your favorite coffee mug into a home for all of your favorite writing tools or a basket to hold files and other essential documents.
- Looking for additional storage in a smaller space? If square footage is an issue, adding shelves or an efficient filing system will prevent crowding and clutter.
- All that’s left to do is keep the space organized. To prevent your brand-new, serene space from adding more stress to your work life, implement a weekly cleaning routine to avoid messy build-ups. Shop IKEA and Amazon for additional organizational tools and tips to keep your office chic, spic and span.
For those searching for an affordable, quality-built new home in the Atlanta area, then we have you covered! Whether you’re in the market for a new home or to custom build the home of your dreams, Atlanta Real Estate Forum is the place for industry updates, news and more.