The Georgia Veterinary Medical Association (GVMA) knows that “Healthy Pets Make Happy Homes.” In honor of National Pet Week, May 6 through May 12, they have nine tips for responsible pet owners:
- Keep your pet healthy, with the help of your veterinarian
- Always clean up after your pet
- Properly socialize your dog and teach him/her to be obedient and to listen to you
- Keep your dog on a leash during walks and when outside your fenced yard (except for at leash-free dog parks)
- Keep your cat indoors
- Spay or neuter your pet
- Microchip your pet and make sure the registration information stays up-to-date
- License your pet (if required by law)
- Budget for potential emergencies
“GVMA promotes the national week on a state level. As veterinarians and animal lovers, we are delighted to pay tribute to our beloved pets by fostering responsible ownership and the importance of wellness care. A healthy pet indeed makes a happy home,” said GVMA President Dr. Spencer Tally, DVM, Pharm D.
GVMA is Georgia’s leading professional association committed to advancing the veterinary medical profession and supporting the veterinarian’s role in improving animal and public health. For more information, please visit www.GVMA.net or join them on Facebook and Twitter for news and tips.
If you’re looking for a pet friendly Atlanta home or an Atlanta new home close to a leash-free dog park, be sure to visit our website.