The autumn season is among us, which means it is time for a little fall home maintenance. From falling leaves to crisp winds, the arrival of fall brings much-needed relief from the Georgia heat with some of the most complimentary weather conditions of the year! Take advantage of the blissful weather to guarantee your Atlanta home is prepared for the upcoming winter conditions. Here are some fall home maintenance tips to help ensure your home is a safe and cozy shelter from the cold:
Exterior Home Maintenance
- Examine your home’s foundation for cracks or openings to ensure your home stays warm and mold-free. Caulk where the masonry meets siding, where pipes or wires enter the house and around windows and doorframes. This will aid in keeping heat in the house and water that could cause mold-buildup out.
- Protect your home against harsh winter storms by installing storm windows/doors and removing screens. Clean, repair and spray your screens with a protective coating before storing them in a dry place.
- Preserve siding by thoroughly checking exterior walls for any blistering or peeling paint.
- Hire a licensed, certified professional to analyze the condition of your roof to prevent water damage. This is a vital task when prepping for winter weather as debris, snow and ice rest on the roof and weigh it down.
- Avoid ice dams by cleaning the gutters and downspouts, flushing them with water, inspecting joints and tightening brackets.
- Ensure the pool cover is intact.
- Weather-strip your garage door and tighten the seal between the door and the ground to prevent drafts and small animals.
- Clean cracks in the driveway and repair them with driveway filler and commercial sealer.
Interior Home Maintenance
- Look for air leaks by moving your hand around windows and doorframes. Seal them with weather-stripping and caulk to reduce the heat bill.
- Hire a professional heating contractor to examine the heating system to ensure it is running to top standards.
- Prepare for power outages and prevent a house fire by having the chimney professionally swept.
- Meticulously inspect the wood stove/fireplace and insert a door gasket for a tight seal. Clean and check the glass door for cracks.
- Change the ceiling fan’s direction to redistribute warm air.
- Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors.
- Clean any humidifiers to filter fresh air into your home.
- Clear and fertilize the lawn, reseed patchy areas and plant spring bulbs. To thwart deer and other animals, cover plants with netting and chicken wire.
- Organize and store yard tools, clean gardening tools and drain fuel from lawn mowers, leaf blowers and chain saws. Store all items inside or in a protected area.
- Ensure shovels, roof rakes and snow blowers are organized and easily accessible. If possible, store such items in an insulated garage where they are safe from harsh elements.
- Drain garden hoses and turn off outdoor water valves to prevent frozen water damage.
Porch and Deck
- Check that stairs, supports and railings are stable.
- Clean, cover and repair any outdoor furniture.
- Dump soil from pots and planters.
Every home is different when it comes to preventative home maintenance, but we believe this list to be an excellent starting point to help keep your home in tip-top shape throughout the winter months.
Read more on Home Trends here.
To stay in the know on exciting happenings, upcoming communities and available new homes in the metro Atlanta area, sign up for the Atlanta Real Estate Forum daily newsletter.