A day that seemingly predicts whether the country will see six more weeks of winter or early spring, Groundhog Day holds more power than many think. For Atlanta real estate, the outcome of February 2 determines how builders will market their communities in the coming weeks.
If Georgia’s own General Beauregard Lee or Punxsutawney Phil sees their shadow, Realtors will continue to stress the importance of fireplaces and low-cost heating systems in new communities. In past years, the state of Georgia experienced unforeseen snow conditions, coining the term “Snowpocalypse.” In case of inclement weather, builders market homes featuring superior insulation and smooth driveways that are ideal for unforeseen freezing temperatures.
Should the country’s favorite groundhogs come out of their den, builders will rush to market neighborhood pools, energy-efficient cooling systems and patios in anticipation of rising temperatures. Homes with sought-after outdoor living spaces will take precedence as homebuyers search for the perfect way to enjoy the southern sunshine and combat the Georgia heat.
While the holiday may seem silly, there are many fun ways to celebrate and enjoy the hype surrounding Groundhog Day.
- Live stream the appearance of Punxsutawney Phil, courtesy of PNC, or watch the broadcast on their YouTube channel to virtually join the Pennsylvania festivities at Gobbler’s Knob.
- Challenge friends and family to have a Groundhog Day by repeating the same task over and over throughout the day.
- Cozy up at home and watch the 1993 film “Groundhog Day” starring Bill Murray or listen to the musical inspired by the film.
- Take a day trip to the Yellow River Game Ranch in Lilburn, Georgia to watch General Beauregard Lee emerge from his official mansion in search of his shadow.
- Turn the holiday into an educational opportunity and research the curious history of Groundhog Day, whose roots trace back to Germany. Find interesting trivia for young kids and after the lesson concludes, reward them with a tasty serving of dirt pie. Click here for an easy and delicious recipe.
- Post regular updates and be the center for Groundhog Day news! Use the hashtag #GroundhogDay2022 to join the conversation on all social platforms.
- Keep an eye out for groundhogs in your neighborhood! Native to Georgia, the furry creatures can be seen peeking out of their burrow on February 2 for the first time in months.
For insight into Atlanta’s hot real estate market, exciting trends and must-see attractions, stay up to date at www.AtlantaRealEstateForum.com.