Have you enjoyed reading our city features of Atlanta new home communities? Our next destination is Dallas, Ga. Located in the heart of Paulding County, one of the fastest growing counties in the U.S., the city has a population of about 11,500 people and an even larger history.
Dallas was created in 1854 by an act of the Georgia General Assembly. It was named for George M. Dallas, the Vice President of the United States under James K. Polk. Since then, the city has seen the Civil War and experienced so much more during the 20th and 21st centuries.
Now, you will find new Atlanta real estate opportunities mixed with southern charm. Zillow.com shows 81 properties listed from $30,000 to almost $700,000. Additionally, the site lists 53 rentals. Average rent in Dallas is about $500 to $1,500 per month.
There’s also no need to worry about your child’s education in Dallas. Children in the area attend top Paulding County schools including Dallas Elementary, Allgood Elementary, Northside Elementary, Herschel Jones Middle, East Paulding Middle, Moses Middle and East Paulding High.
Additionally, residents are within minutes to great shops, restaurants, recreation and attractions:
Shopping and Dining
• Heaven Scent Cupcakes Dallas. A cupcake shop on Main Street, Heaven Scent Cupcakes offers more than 18 varieties of specialty cakes. The shop also serves Blue Bell ice cream, oreo and nutter balls, frosting shots and cake pops.
• Crossroads Neighborhood Grille. This is the place to be in Dallas, and the friendly staff makes sure no one leaves hungry! Menu items include fried dill pickles, tater skins, nachos, teriyaki chicken salad, fresh burgers, deli sandwiches, steak, pizza and award-winning volcanic wings.
• Somewhere in Time Antiques. Located in Downtown Dallas, the store is always changing and features a variety of antiques. Items include a lot of shabby chic, primitive and traditional Victorian antiques.
• Rodney’s BBQ and Catering. This BBQ joint features a variety of appetizers, salads, chicken wings, bbq pork plates, sandwiches and desserts. Stop by to try Rodney’s home cooking.
• The Craft Cottage. This store on Main Street has been providing interior design, home accessories and antique furniture to Dallas for the past 28 years. The Craft Cottage specializes in hand-painted furniture and accessories by owner and artist Chris Stokes.
Entertainment and Recreation
• Dallas Theater Civic Center. This Main Street theater was renovated in 1999. The original movie theater on this site was opened in 1927 but burned down in 1948. The structure reopened in 1948 but was converted into an office building in 1965. Now, Dallas Theater Civic Center holds approximately 550 people and was even the setting for a few scenes for the 2011 movie, “Joyful Noise.”
• Sara Babb Park. The park features four lighted tennis courts, two baseball fields, two volleyball courts, a swimming pool, outdoor pavilion, outdoor grills, one playground and bicycle trails. Additionally, an indoor pavilion can be rented.
• The Gazebo at Dallas Trailhead Spur. Perfect for a wedding, this gazebo is decked with seasonal plantings and a fountain. The Gazebo is available for booking seven days a week on a first come, first served basis.
• Coleman Camp Park. One of two Dallas parks, located on Lester Drive, Coleman Camp Park features a picnic pavilion, walking trails, outdoor grills and picnic tables.
• Henderson House. During the Civil War, Union General William T. Sherman planned to use Dallas to control traffic on the country roads that led to larger cities such as Atlanta and Kennesaw. This led to three battles in Paulding County. These battles took place at New Hope Church, Pickett’s Mill and Dallas. The battles delayed Sherman’s attack on Atlanta. The Henderson House in Dallas served as the union headquarters during this time period.
• Paulding County Courthouse. Built in 1892 and located at Constitution Blvd. in Dallas, the Paulding County Courthouse has been renovated several times. The latest renovation, in 2008, was dedicated to the Watson family and is called the Watson Government Complex. This is the site of the administration offices for Paulding County.
Discover Dallas and find your dream home. For more information on Paulding County new homes, click here.