With a growing population of 53,819 residents, Brookhaven, located in western DeKalb County, has become an Atlanta hot spot for real estate and lifestyle. Located directly northeast of the city, Brookhaven became the 11th city in Dekalb County on December 17, 2012, the newest addition to the Atlanta area. Atlanta residents began constructing summer cottages in the community around the 1900s, and in 1924 the area was incorporated as the city of North Atlanta.
From the 1950s to the 1970s, big-time commercial and residential development took place in Brookhaven, which led to the area being largely built out by 1980. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Capital City Club and surrounding estate homes are known as Historic Brookhaven. Today, the city has grown tremendously and shows no signs of stopping.
Due to their curb appeal and prime location, homes in Brookhaven are in high demand. There are currently no available homes listed on Zillow but values typically start in the $600,000s and range to upwards of $2,500,000.
Children of Brookhaven families attend one of Atlanta’s top public-school systems located near the campuses of some of Georgia’s well-recognized colleges. Some schools found in the area are Dunwoody Elementary, Fernbank Elementary, Cedar Grove Middle, Sequoyah Middle, Marist School and Cross Keys High. Located nearby is Oglethorpe University, which is a highly accredited private university in the U.S.
Ashford-Dunwoody Road provides easy access to I-285 and Brookhaven’s MARTA station, Chamblee and Peachtree Roads offer direct access to Atlanta for big-city shopping and dining.
Shopping and Dining
- Verde. This fun and relaxed local taqueria will quickly become a staple for families, friends and date nights. Verde strives to make each guest feel at home, from large groups to intimate gatherings. The menu consists of classic Mexican appetizers, fresh salads, warm quesadillas and gourmet tacos to satisfy all tastes.
- Atlanta Vintage Books. Serving the community for 30 years, the independent bookstore offers new and used books, housing over 75,000 tomes. A wide variety of tiles and genres makes this the perfect stop for any bibliophile!
- Redefined Home Boutique. Find custom, locally made furniture or gorgeous decor pieces in this home boutique. Redefined Home Boutique’s unique and carefully selected pieces can turn a home from lacking to cozy instantly.
- Vestique. A contemporary clothing store for women that offers a unique and fun shopping experience.
- Haven. This urban eatery features a crisp, hearty selection of American cuisine. As the leaves change, guests return to discover new seasonal delicacies. The warm ambiance is completed by soft lighting, earth tones and dark rustic woods, making for a comforting, upscale dining experience.
- Olde Blind Dog Irish Pub. An authentic Irish Pub found in the middle of Brookhaven. This pub features fish & chips, bangers and mash, corned beef and cabbage and Shepherd’s Pie.
- Kaleidoscope. Serving international, eclectic fare, this comfy neighborhood spot is a favorite among locals. The menu is ever-changing, much like the many colors of a kaleidoscope!
Entertainment and Recreation
- Brookhaven Park. This nine-acre park is a beloved destination within the Brookhaven community. The park serves as a place to leisurely catch up with friends, play sports, host a picnic or walk furry friends.
- Murphy Candler Park. Offering 135 acres of walking trails around a lake, baseball fields, picnic areas and a swimming pool.
- Oglethorpe University Museum of Art. The only small liberal arts museum in the southeast that regularly shows international and local art exhibitions.
- Brookhaven Farmer’s Market. Providing healthy, local produce and other goods, this farmers market can be shopped every Saturday from late March to early November.
- Ashford Forest Preserve. A green space consisting of 30-acres of old-growth forest, several springs, a meadow and a wetland area. The walking trails throughout are perfect for walking, running or riding a bike.
- Peachtree Creek Greenway. A multi-use trail connecting all the communities located on the North Fork Peachtree Creek and eventually connects to Path400 and the Atlanta BeltLine. The completed part in Brookhaven is 1.3 miles and runs from North Druid Hills Road to Briarwood Road.
History and Attractions
- Oglethorpe University. The gothic campus of Oglethorpe University is a landmark of Georgia’s rich history. Founded in 1835, the university is considered one of America’s most selective liberal arts institutions, Oglethorpe University enrolls over 1,000 students annually on average.
- Brookhaven Historic District. Developed in 1910, the Brookhaven Historic District is home to Georgia’s oldest golf course and country club residential community. Amenities include a golf course, lake, woodlands and a clubhouse.
Add Brookhaven to the top of the itinerary, and experience all the charm and history it has to offer. For more information on DeKalb County homes, visit www.AtlantaRealEstateForum.com.