How to Save Energy in Your Atlanta New Home During the Cooler Months
With the weather outside officially making it feel like fall in the south, many homeowners are pulling out their down comforters and turning on the heat. However, while this time of year can be awfully chilly, many Atlanta new home energy bills are red hot with expenses.
Here are a few energy saving tips to make sure you stay warm without spending a fortune:
- Schedule service for your heating system to make sure it’s working at its best.
- Replace your furnace’s filter on a monthly basis.
- When you’re away from your home or sleeping, turn down your thermostat. For every degree you lower the temperature, you can save around 2 percent on your bill.
- Make sure all of your windows are locked and sealed tight to keep hot air from escaping.
- Shut the door and vents in unused rooms to save up to 3 percent on heating costs.
- During the day, open the blinds or curtains on your south-facing windows to allow the sun to naturally heat your home.
- If your home has a fireplace, close the damper while not in use.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater to 120 degrees.
- When it’s time to put up your holiday lights, consider replacing older lights with the LED variety.
Of course, with a new home in Atlanta from Brock Built, you can rest assured your home will automatically save energy all year long. All of our homes are built to our GreenSmart program standards, which include radiant barrier roofing, house wrap, spray-on fiberglass insulation, low-flow plumbing fixtures, high efficiency light bulbs, ENERGY STAR appliances and more.