Discover the Growing City of Brookhaven
Archive Page - Links and Images have been removed.
With a growing population of 49,000 residents, Brookhaven, located in DeKalb County, has become an Atlanta hot spot for real estate and lifestyle. A newer addition to the Atlanta area, Brookhaven became DeKalb County’s 11th city on December 17, 2012 and is located directly northeast of the city. Atlanta residents began constructing summer cottages in the community around the 1900s, and in 1924 the area was incorporated as the city of North Atlanta.
In the 1950s to the 1970s, big time commercial and residential development took place in Brookhaven, which led to the area being largely built-out by 1980. The Capital City Club and its surrounding estate homes were placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is now known as “Historic Brookhaven.” Today, the city has grown tremendously and shows no signs of stopping.
Neighborhoods in Brookhaven range from the charming Historic Brookhaven, to the modern, urban town center of Brookhaven Village. Due to their curb appeal and prime location, homes in Brookhaven are in high demand. Available homes listed on Zillow start in the $600,000s and range to upwards of $2,500,000.
Children of Brookhaven families attend one of Atlanta’s finest public school systems and are located near the campuses of some of Georgia’s well-recognized colleges: Elementary Schools
• Dunwoody • Chapel Hill • Fernbank
• Cedar Grove • Columbia • Sequoyah
• Oglethorpe University • Georgia State • Robinson College of Business MBA
Ashford- Dunwoody Road provides easy access to I-285. Brookhaven’s MARTA station, Chamblee and Peachtree Roads provide direct access to Atlanta, so a day of big-city shopping and dining is just a ride away.
If you’re looking to mix up your summer routine, checking out the Brookhaven area will not lead to disappointment. Here are some suggestions of what to see and do when you’re in town: Shopping and Dining
• Verde. This fun and relaxed local taqueria will quickly become a staple for families, friends and date nights. Whether you’re sitting in the privacy of a booth or out on the patio with a group of friends, Verde strives to make each guest feel at home. Verde’s menu consists of classic Mexican appetizers, fresh salads, warm quesadillas and gourmet tacos that will satisfy everyone’s taste buds. • Mercantile. This home design boutique encompasses a style of traditional and contemporary roots. Guests will be tempted by sophisticated home furniture and décor, ranging from supple leather to beautiful prints and designs. A divine selection of gifts provides the perfect opportunity to surprise a friend with that perfect little something. If you’re just browsing, the store also serves as a gallery to local artists. • Haven. This urban eatery features a crisp, hearty selection of American cuisine. The seasonal menu will have you returning as the leaves change to discover what new delicacies the chef has to offer. The warm ambiance is completed by soft lighting, earth tones and dark rustic woods, making for a comforting, upscale dining experience. • Noche. If you are looking for a high energy environment to get together for great food and fun, Noche is your first choice. Located at Town Brookhaven on Peachtree Road near Oglethorpe University, Noche offers a zesty variety of Spanish tapas, tacos and entrees, as well as a selection of world-famous margaritas.
Entertainment and Recreation
• CineBistro. Treat yourself to a night of luxurious dine-in theater, designed to ensure your utmost comfort and enjoyment. Sit back in a high-back leather rocking chair and enjoy first-run movies, independent films, an American Bistro menu, a full bar and other traditional movie snacks at this entertainment destination in Town Brookhaven. • Brookhaven Park. This nine-acre park is a beloved destination within the Brookhaven community. The park serves as a place to leisurely catch up with friends, play sports, host a picnic or simply walk the dog. • Maylia Art Gallery. This gallery is held to be one of the premier art dealers in the United States, specializing in the work of contemporary Chinese artists. Though the gallery was founded in Manhattan, it was moved to Atlanta to increase the presence of this type of art and has thrived in Brookhaven ever since.
History and Attractions
• Ogelthorpe University. Founded in 1835, this university’s gothic campus marks a point of history in the state of Georgia. On average, Ogelthorpe University enrolls over 1,000 students annually and is considered to be one of America’s most selective liberal arts institutions. • Brookhaven Historic District. Developed in 1910, Brookhaven Historic District represents the oldest golf course and country club residential community in Georgia. The community features a golf course, lake, woodlands and a clubhouse. • Georgia Shakespeare. If you’re looking to get your dose of history, Georgia Shakespeare Theater brings to life the timeless tales with a twist of humor and bravado. The shows aim to give the audience an engaging and educational experience that will expose people to world-class theater productions.
Add Brookhaven to the top of your summer activities list, and experience all the charm and history it has to offer. For more DeKalb County new homes, click here.