Celebrate New Homes Month by Buying New Construction in April
April is dedicated as New Homes Month by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), and it is being celebrated by the entire home building industry. This annual event happens just in time for families thinking about purchasing a new home during the spring buying season, and it aims to educate home buyers on the many advantages of purchasing a new construction home.
The list of advantages for purchasing a new home seems to be endless, but the NAHB has highlighted a few of the major reasons below:
- New home plans are designed with today’s lifestyle in mind. These plans include desirable, consumer-tested features such as an open layout that offers plenty of space to entertain, high ceilings, walk-in closets and conveniently located laundry rooms and home office space.
- Home buyers can feel secure in knowing that new homes are constructed with wiring that can safely accommodate the use of today’s appliances and home technology components. Older homes were not designed to support features such as high-definition televisions, multiple game consoles and sophisticated lighting, security and audio systems. Older wiring systems may need modifications to support new technology, which can quickly add up for homeowners.
- Today’s new homes are built with a multitude of energy-efficient features that are designed to save the homeowner money while also protecting the environment. Features such as new insulation, low-E windows, tankless water heaters and ENERGY STAR appliances can save homeowners a significant amount of money throughout the lifetime of their home.
- When buyers purchase a new home, they don’t have to go through the process of remodeling, redecorating or renovating any features of the home. Instead, buyers are able to select their own appliances, flooring, paint colors and other design elements, making their home their own even before they move in.
- It’s not surprising to find that maintenance and operating costs are lower for new homes. The NAHB analyzed data from the Census Bureau’s 2011 American Housing Survey and found that energy costs are about 10 percent lower in new homes than in existing homes. In addition, maintenance costs were 56 percent lower on average for new homes. Maintenance costs for all single-family homes averaged $547 per year, while homes built after 2008 averaged just $241 per year.
- Another not-so-obvious benefit that can be had from purchasing a new home is the opportunity to build a brand new community together with neighbors. Families often form lasting bonds of friendship and neighborliness right away, and many home builders even host community parties in new developments to help residents meet and connect. In addition, the many popular amenities that today’s communities include, such as pools, tennis courts or walking trails, also encourage neighbors to interact with one another.
Right now, buyers can take advantage of competitive home prices and low interest rates that are being offered on new construction homes. With the real estate market picking up speed and the spring buying season upon us, now is the perfect time to begin your new home search.
For more information on new homes in metro Atlanta, click here.